We’ve all been there – you get a text message that you know you’ll need to respond to (eventually), but you’re just not in the mood to respond yet. Or sometimes you might be too busy to access it and you don’t want the person who sent you a message to be offended that you read it and didn’t take the time to respond. Whatever the reason, make yourself a priority and use these tips to ignore text messages from friends or family members until you’re ready to read and respond.
CLICK TO GET KURT’S FREE CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER WITH SECURITY ALERTS, QUICK TIPS, TECHNICAL ADVICE AND EASY FEEDBACK TO MAKE YOU SMARTER
Sometimes you can’t access your cell phone to reply to messages, and sometimes you don’t want to reply to certain people. Muting conversations comes in handy for busy group chats. However, it can be used on any contact, so you are not distracted by messages from anyone in particular.
How to turn off conversations on iPhone
- Find the thread with the person or group you no longer want to receive alerts from
- You can either swipe the text message slightly to the left to reveal the options to Mute or DELETE then press Mute. A bell icon with a slash will appear next to the person’s name to indicate that the contact has been muted.
- Another option to turn off conversations on iPhone is to open the conversation in the Messages app
- Press their contact name, phone number or group chat names and numbers at the top of the conversation
- Scroll to Hide alerts and toggle this on
Now their text messages will still arrive on your phone, you just won’t get a notification about it and you will have to manually enter their chat to check for updated messages or reply to them.
FIND OUT WHY CELL PHONE COMPANIES MUST NOW BLOCK OBVIOUS SCAM TEXTS
Disable “read acknowledgments”
“Read Delivery Receipts” is a feature built into Apple’s Messages app that lets people know when you’ve seen an incoming message. For example, imagine you are having a conversation with a friend named Sarah. She sends you a message asking if you are available for lunch tomorrow. Once you have opened and read her message, Sarah will receive a notification that you have seen her message. This feature provides a convenient way for the sender to know that their message has been acknowledged and encourages quick responses in conversations.
However, this feature is not available for regular SMS. You can tell the difference by color: a blue text bubble indicates Apple’s iMessage, while a green text bubble indicates an SMS message.
So, this feature only works if both parties are using iPhones and have iMessage enabled. You can enable or disable “read receipts” for everyone or for specific people.
How to Disable “Read Receipts” on iPhone for Anyone Texting You
If you’re hoping to maintain a little more privacy, make sure your contacts don’t receive read receipts from you. First, check if they are enabled for all your contacts.
- Scroll to posts and press it
- Scroll down to where it says Send read receipts and make sure this is disabled
How to Disable “Read Receipts” for Specific Contacts on iPhone
Then make sure “read receipts” is disabled for the specific contact you are trying to ignore
- Find the wire with the person or group you don’t want to send “read receipts” to
- Press their contact name/photo/number at the top of your conversation with them
- Scroll to Send read receipts and make sure this is disabled
FOR MORE OF MY TECHNICAL ADVICE & SECURITY ALERTSSUBSCRIBE TO MY FREE CYBERGUY REPORT NEWSLETTER BY RENDERING MANAGEMENT CYBERGUY.COM/NEWSLETTER
Turn off notifications for a conversation on Samsung
If you want to continue to receive alerts from most of your contacts but want to turn off notifications from a specific person, you can turn off alerts for individual people.
How to Disable Notifications for a Chat on Samsung
Settings may vary depending on your phone manufacturer
- Open the thread or conversation whose notifications you want to turn off
- Press the three vertical dots in the upper corner
Delay your text response on Samsung
This option only works if you plan to text someone back and just want to reply to them at another time and not immediately.
How to Delay Your Text Reply on Samsung
Settings may vary depending on your phone manufacturer
- Open the thread or conversation you want to send a delayed reply to
- Retype your text but do not press send immediately
- hold it send an arrow, and a pop-up will allow you to schedule when you want to send the message
- You can select later today, later tonight, tomorrow, or anytime on any date you wish
DID YOU ACCIDENTALLY DELETE THIS SENTIMENTAL TEXT MESSAGE?
Kurt’s main takeaways
It’s possible to get overwhelmed with your commitments, including work, family, and other personal responsibilities, which can cause you to prioritize other tasks before responding to text messages. Although these tips are very practical, you should always try to communicate with your loved ones to let them know why you are not responding to them immediately.
Have you ever used any of these tricks or others to ignore a text from someone? Are you annoyed that it seems people only want to text these days and not pick up the phone and call? Let us know by writing to us at Cyberguy.com/Contact
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
For more of my advice, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report newsletter by heading to Cyberguy.com/Newsletter
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved.